24 juil. 2018

RIP Bill Gold: The Extraordinary Movie Poster Master


Bill Gold, at the age of 97, has died. Maybe the greatest movie poster designer of them all. Gold was born in New York City, January 1921 and is best know for hundreds of classic film poster designed. His first posters included Yankee Doodle Dandy in 1941 and Casablanca the following year. He began his professional design career at Warner Brothers and was made head of poster design in 1947.

He once told the New York Times: I know what movie posters should look like, instinctively,” said Mr. Gold, who lives in Old Greenwich, Conn. “I looked at everything that MGM and Paramount and all the companies did, and I never liked anything that I saw. I always found fault with the fact that they showed three heads of the actors, and that’s about all the concept they would use. And when I started to work, I thought: I don’t want to just do a concept with three heads in it. I want a story.

- Flashbak