6 nov. 2022

Why the Ethics of ‘Would You Kill Baby Hitler?’ Are More Important Than You Probably Think


The 2002 Twilight Zone episode "Cradle of Darkness" toys with a simple question: can an evil act (murder) be justified if its consequences are sufficiently positive?

hough it was well before my time, I always loved watching the original Twilight Zone series. (In fact, I can still recite my favorite episodes, which include “The Shelter,” “The Hitchhiker,” “Living Doll,” and “A Game of Pool.”)

Later reboots of The Twilight Zone never impressed me as much, but the 2002 episode “Cradle of Darkness” is an exception. Directed by Jean de Segonzac and written by Kamran Pasha, it stars Katherine Heigl as a young woman sent back in time to Austria in 1889 to rewrite history by killing Adolf Hitler when he’s just a baby, preventing (hopefully) the Holocaust and World War II.

- FEE Stories